Monday, December 17, 2012

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year...Except for the Part Where Bill Clinton Tried to Make Out with Me

Longest title ever! But I really do think it's the most wonderful time of the year - I LOVE Christmas. I'm the person that quivers with joy as I walk through the Christmas aisles looking at everything sparkle and shine and glisten. Christmas music fills me with magical wonder and the thought of snow on Christmas day makes giddy with unrealistic hope (because it's still 50 freaking degrees - typical fickle Kansas. It was 6 degrees last Monday, and today's high is 52!).

Yesterday was my Christmas party, and there is now glitter all over my kitchen floor, but that's okay... I needed something to cheer the place up. I made this dress - well, I bought the dress (totally on sale) and then sewed the the tinsel onto it, which was no easy feat as the room was still spinning from Saturday night. There were ugly sweaters, reindeer antlers, and many bottles of wine. A great success. And then I fell asleep on the couch for the third night in a row (sometimes I really just don't want to get up and go to my bed) and that's when it happened - Bill Clinton tried to make out with me!! Rough night. I have the stupidest dreams. Who even has dreams about Bill Clinton anymore anyway? I wouldn't have felt weird about it if it were Obama, but noooo.

So I'd like to take a moment in this festive spirit and share with you all:

Georgia's Top Five Favorite Christmas Songs


5. Baby, It's Cold Outside - Johnny Mercer and Margaret Whiting (here)
     So this one isn't technically a Christmas song but it is. It's just cheeky and classy and delightful.
4. The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole (here)
     It's a classic. The man is great. And it is a simple phrase that has been complicated by our modern society. It might not be PC anymore, but a simple Merry Christmas is heartwarming. 
3. Fairytale of New York - The Pogues ft Kirsty MacColl (here)
     This song is very different from all the others on this list, but it's still a geat song. It makes me feel like I need to be sitting in a bar drowning my sorrows in Guiness but it's a reminder that Christmas isn't magical for everyone.
2. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day - Wizzard (here)
    Now is a good time to state that no one does Christmas like the Brits, and I've never truly felt Christmas since we moved to the States and every single Christmas I miss England more than anything. I had actually forgotten that this song existsed until I came across it yesterday on a Christmas compilation and it lit up my whole afternoon. And now I will wallow in the memories of my childhood - Cadbury's advent calendars and selection boxes, tins of Quality Street, Mr. Blobby and Noel's House Party Christmas Specials (we have the BEST Christmas TV specials), Top of the Pops Christmas, Wallace and Gromit, Christmas crackers, mince pies, Christingle services, watching the Queen, Boxing Day, nut roast. The list is endless. 
1. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Frank Sinatra (here)
     Something about Frank's voice and this song and everything just makes me so happy when I hear it. It's the ultimate classic, and I never really noticed how much I enjoyed it until I was decorating my tree after Thanksgiving dinner at Andrea and Dave's and it just became one of those perfect moments. I was standing precariously on the arm of the sofa putting the star on the tree top and thinking about what a pleasant afternoon it had been for all of us who couldn't be with our own families, and due to some form of cosmic alignment just at the perfect moment, I hear the lyrics "through the years we all will be together if the fates allow/hang a shining star upon the highest bow/and have yourself a merry little Christmas now". How perfect?! 

There you have it, I hope you enjoyed those songs. I'm off to get crafty - it's crunch time! So much to do.

Toodles, Miss Georgia.









2 comments: